Thermal Impacts of Stormwater BMPs,
Thermal Regimes of Northeast Streams,
and their Nexus
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 1230-330PM
Location: Hugh Gregg Coastal Conservation Center, 89 Depot Road, Greenland, NH
UNH Stormwater Center, Environmental Research Group, and NH Coastal Training Program
What: How does stormwater runoff impact stream temperature?
This workshop will present research results examining thermal characteristics as they relate to surface waters and runoff in the built and natural environment, an important issue facing the Northeast. As a watershed is developed, and impervious surface area increases, stormwater runoff can be a significant, or even the primary source of water to a surface water body. Small streams in New England are highly sensitive to changes in temperature. Increased temperature damages cold water fisheries, and altered temperature regimes interfere with spawning and migration patterns. Drs. Roseen, Ballestero and Watts are characterizing the thermal signature of stormwater runoff. Dr. Jacobs has explored the thermal regimes of streams throughout NH and MA. Recently, these teams have begun to combine their findings to determine the impact of specific stormwater management strategies on a range of stream types. This workshop will present the results of these ongoing research programs.
Workshop Partners: Robert Roseen, Jennifer Jacobs, Alison Watts, Tom Ballestero, Jamie Houle, Steve Miller (CTP Partner), Ralph Abele (EPA)
1. Introduction - Ralph Abele (EPA) (15 min)
2. Thermal Regimes of Northeast Streams – Jennifer Jacobs (ERG) (25 min)
3. Thermal Impacts of Stormwater BMPs – Robert Roseen (UNHSC) (25 min)
4. Persistence Characteristics of Stormwater BMPs – Tom Ballestero (UNHSC) (25 min)
5. Developing Models for Stormwater Thermal Impacts on Stream Temperature Regimes---Alison Watts (UNHSC) (25 min)
6. Next Steps to Quantifying and Mitigating Stormwater impacts on Streams (10 min)
7. Closing & Sponsor acknowledgements (5 min)
Registration: For more information goto http://www.unh.edu/unhsc/thermal.
To register online goto http://www.erg.unh.edu/stormwater/Onlinereg/register.asp
Or contact Maddy Wasiewski at 603-862-2206. There is no cost to this workshop.
Logistics: Parking is available on site. The workshop is located 89 Depot Road, Greenland, NH 03840.